March 24, 2010

Rockin' Rose & Lace Necklace

I often pick up things in my travels that I don't exactly know what I'm going to do with when I buy it. One of those things was a substantial bolt of vintage lace I found in the dark depths of a warehouse, neatly wrapped inside an awesome steamer trunk. It was really old and there was a lot of it. But I had no idea what it would be good for. I stored it away in one of my many, many vintage trunks and forgot about it. I hadn't seen that lace for a long time when I spied it while making my Halloween costume last year. The minute I saw it I knew just the combination of shapes, colors and textures that I wanted to use...

The end result is this rose necklace! I have a passion for costuming, so of course textiles are going to pop up in my designs now and then. I am also obsessed with roses this season, so with that as the focal point, I threw in some of my other current fancies: Chains and spikes, in this representation a thorn, dangling at the end of the extender chain. This necklace also features vintage glass pearls for a little touch of the classic.


My favourite thing of all has to be the multi-use feature of this necklace. The rose turns into a brooch, and the necklace itself can be worn with out it. I love making multi-functional pieces!

Learn more about this piece HERE.


From the City of Roses, Portland OR.,
Happy Spring!

-The Ramblin' Rose

No comments: